Tuesday, September 8, 2009

One Mississippi: A Novel by Mark Childress

One Mississippi: A Novel One Mississippi: A Novel by Mark Childress


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
It was a bit hard to rate a book "Really Liked It" that ends the way this one does (I won't spoil anything for you, no worries); but the earlier portions of the book led me to say I did really enjoy it. I wrote down so many humorous quotes from this book and I really enjoyed the whole "Yankee-returning-to-the-south" theme and the way the author illustrated the 70's so perfectly through music, clothing and pop culture. This book was kind of manic to me in that I was expecting a humorous fish out of water/coming of age tale (since the reviews on the book's cover all tout it's hilarity) but it was chock full of serious, heart-breaking events. The author did a good job of injecting plenty of humor, but no amount could have made up for the semi-shocking (only semi b/c you felt something like this was coming) conclusion. I'm happy that I read it and will take away plenty of chuckle-worthy lines, although I caution anyone looking for a light-hearted/feel-good type of book to choose something else.

View all my reviews >>

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Thank you for leaving me a little note!