Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley

I Was Told There'd Be Cake I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley


My rating: 1 of 5 stars
When you’re past the halfway point and the book is still sucking, it’s time to throw in the towel and move on in your literary life. I originally didn’t realize this was a collection of short stories, which is not my favorite style, but I labored on under the misconception that maybe there would be some flashes of hilarity a la Laurie Notaro, etc. Not a one. I can’t pinpoint what my issue is specifically, but I just do not like the author. I have never had this happen before. After reading through some other reviews, I see I am not alone! The author comes off as insincere, ‘too cool’ and spoiled; a hipster with a book deal and the misgiving that she’s uproariously clever. She’s disconnected from the memories of her own life in a way that leaves the reader feeling, well, nothing. 2 thumbs way down!

View all my reviews >>

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Thank you for leaving me a little note!