Saturday, May 1, 2010

Bee Season by Myla Goldberg

Bee Season Bee Season by Myla Goldberg
My rating: 1 of 5 stars
What started off as a promising novel with an interesting main character and excellent use of adjectives quickly veered off the tracks into Depressionland. I felt more and more dispassionate about the story and characters as the book progressed until I began to strongly dislike both. The father is so wrapped up in his own intellectual pursuits that he fails to notice anything falling outside of his scope of interests, most pointedly the fact that his behaviors and actions have completely alienated his children and his wife. Calling Mrs. Naumann a "mother" would be tantamount to calling David Letterman a gold medal-winning figure skater. She's not built for it. Her introspection and complete disinterest in her family is amazing. By the time the book reaches it's mid-way point, I didn't really care what happened to either parent. My first thoughts upon completion were of how grateful I was it was over and how the next book I read needs to be an upbeat one to wash away this one's residual gloom.

View all my reviews >>

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Thank you for leaving me a little note!