Sunday, May 17, 2015

Review! | Grown Alchemist Watermelon and Vanilla Lip Balm


I've loved lip balms for as long as I can remember.  I have memories of rocking out the BonneBell LipSmackers (shoutout to Dr. Pepper!) and Maybelline Kissing Koolers as early as age 9.  If I had to give up all makeup and skincare, lip balm would be the biggest loss.  If I went on Survivor, lip balm would be my luxury item.  I always have several tubes on me, and will get out of bed to go hunt down my #1 balm if I realize it's not on my nightstand.  Suffice it to say, I'm a bit of a lip balm connoisseur.  A sommelier de baume, if you will, and I've tried quite a few offerings in my lifetime.
Retro!
I first heard of the Grown Alchemist Watermelon and Vanilla Lip Balm balm from an article called "This Lip Balm Changed My Life (OK, Lips)" on Allure.com.  While I'm quite happy with my long-standing Top Three Lip Balms, I may have lost my marbles a bit at the mention of watermelon.  I LOVE watermelon everything; it's right up there for me with lemon everything.  So a highbrow watermelon-scented lip balm?  Très irresistible.
To understand my balm "style", you should first know the rankings:
1. Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask: Thick, non-sticky, incredibly hydrating, lasts overnight/only needs to be reapplied once a day.
2. Glossier Balm Dotcom: Thick, non-sticky, very hydrating, lasts overnight/only needs to be reapplied a few times a day, unscented/taste-free.
3. Aquaphor: Medium thick, non-sticky, quite hydrating, lasts overnight/only needs to be reapplied a few times a day, unscented/taste-free, budget-friendly.
4. Everything else.  This encapsulates a myriad of drugstore and prestige balms including Nivea Lip Butter, Dior Crème de Rose, Dior Addict Lip Glow, Maybelline Baby Lips, Clarins Moisture Replenishing Lip Balm a/k/a "Lupita's Lip Balm", ChapStick, Nuxe Reve de Miel, eos Lip Spheres, MAC Lip Balm Tube, Bobbi Brown Lip Balm, By Terry Baume de Rose, Jack Black, et al.
It comes in a black metal squeeze tube with simple white writing.  Quite classic.  Texture-wise, the Grown Alchemist Watermelon and Vanilla Lip Balm most mirrors MAC Lip Balm Tube (a Top Five contender for sure) when it gets toward the end of the tube and breaks down a bit, causing the oil to separate a little.  It melts on contact into a thin, oil-based veil.  It smells wonderfully like watermelon (I don't detect the vanilla) and has no discernible taste or color.
Wearing Grown Alchemist Watermelon and Vanilla Lip Balm
Overall, I'd categorize the Grown Alchemist Watermelon and Vanilla Lip Balm as more of a lip oil than a balm.  It's just not thick and hydrating enough for my lips.  I have to reapply every hour or so, and it definitely doesn't last overnight for me.  While this one is not a top contender for me, if you prefer a lighter lip oil product, you might love it.

What are your top 3 holy grail lip balms?  Do you have a favorite scent for lip products?    

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Thank you for leaving me a little note!