Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Longest Trip Home: A Memoir by John Grogan

41KV+u2klDL._SX106_



rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved this book, but then again, I have a soft spot for boys’ coming-of-age tales, especially those that take place during the 1950's. There is something I find so romantic about that era of innocence and ideals in America. This book is so much more than a simple remembrance of a boy’s childhood, though. I truly fell in love with the author’s parents, especially his father, even during the rough patches where they were hell bent (pardon the pun) on having their grandchildren raised Catholic. It really gave me a good insider’s point of view into a devout Catholic household, which was interesting. The author’s tales of boyhood mischief were especially HILARIOUS and had me laughing to myself. I would like to think that my paternal grandfather, who died before I was born, was like John Grogan’s father – genuine, inventive, hard-working, respectful, and with an outstanding character. I was very happy for the author that both of his parents lived long, full lives and got to meet their grandchildren, as well as see the author’s work “Marley & Me” top the NY Times Bestseller’s list.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Thank you for leaving me a little note!