Sunday, June 9, 2013

REVIEW! | MAC Twig Satin Lipstick


MAC Satin Lipstick in Twig, $15.00 for 0.1 US oz, is one of those awesome discoveries that came out of a random pick on the MAC site.  Sometimes I like to browse through the color swatches when I'm not looking for a specific item, which is how I came across this lovely shade!

A word on swatches...
When I find something online that intrigues me color-wise, I *ALWAYS* do a Google image search for swatches.  For any of y'all who do a lot of online beauty shopping, I cannot recommend this enough!  I know my die-hard, blog savvy beauty lovers are thinking, "Duh!", but a lot of people I know in my day-to-day life that I'd consider beauty enthusiasts, as well as friends who are just dipping their collective toe into the waters of the beauty world, had never heard of searching for swatches.  Some had never even heard the term "swatch" until I brought them into the fold!

A word to the wise about nail swatches: make sure you read how many coats were used before the pictures were taken.  I've definitely bought nail polish after seeing it swatched online, only to realize the person had to use 7 coats to get it to look the way it did in the photos.  Ain't nobody got time for 7 coats!

Anywho, pictures and swatches on cosmetics retail sites can look different than the actual product will look when you get it depending on color monitor settings and a plethora of other factors.  If you do an image search for swatches {"Product name swatches" I.E. "MAC Twig lipstick swatches"}, you'll get a much better idea of a product's undertones and finish, as well as how it appears in sunlight and indoor lighting.  Bloggers are your friend, y'all!  I can't tell you how much money I've saved over the years thanks to the work of beauty bloggers.  If you're not sure about a product, always check out reviews and swatches on blogs to get a clearer picture.  And if you see a post that really helps you make up your mind, leave a comment for that person!  I know my fellow beauty bloggers out there can attest to the fact that it really reinforces that their time and effort is appreciated when they receive a comment letting them know they were helpful to you.  :)

Back to Twig!  After I saw the shade and color description on the MAC site (Soft muted brownish-pink), I took to Google and found many beautiful swatches of it!  I decided to order it and I am so glad I did!  This lipstick has become a purse staple.  This is a perfect MLBB shade for me.  It's a satin finish lipstick, which means it's got a shine to it but isn't overly glossy.  It applies smooth as, well, satin, and is extremely comfortable to wear.  For anyone who doesn't dig the drying effect some lipsticks have on lips, I highly recommend MAC's Satin line.  These are like slipping-into-pajama-bottoms-after-a-long-day-at-work comfortable.

MAC Twig Satin Lipstick

MAC Twig Satin Lipstick
MAC Twig Satin Lipstick
MAC Twig Satin Lipstick
I get about 3.5 hours of wear before I touch up because my lips seem to crave a fresh coat of moisture.  The color is still going strong at that point, so one could apply a little balm and continue to reap the benefits of the shade.  I was able to wear this through a day at work with only one touch-up!  This is going on my Best Purchases of Summer 2013 list!

I also came across this on Allure.com during my swatch search for Twig and thought I'd share.  I love little bits like this!

WHY WE LIKE IT: This ladylike color was the lipstick of choice for models of all skin tones at Carolina Herrera's spring 2010 show. The warm hue and slick formula make lips look subtly kissable. 

Have you tried any lippies from MAC's Satin line?  Have any of your beauty purchases been influenced by bloggers or swatches you saw online?

My Rating: A+
Where to Buy: MAC

12 comments :

  1. TracyBeautyReflectionsJune 9, 2013 at 1:48 PM

    Love it! I don't have this one! I'll have to remember to get it next time I back to MAC. It's very pretty on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kristen, thanks for featuring this! It's not really a shade I'd normally be very obsessed with, but I LOVE how it looks on you! Now I know I'll have to swatch it next time I'm in a MAC store :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL @ "very obsessed with"! You are adorbs. Thank you so much! I really love this color and the formula is comfy as a t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tracy! Definitely check it out - it would look boss on you, esp. with your grey hair! Bella!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, Twig looks amazing on you! MAC lipsticks dry out my lips but hey, for this shade, I'd give it a try again. Thanks for the review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like an awesome everyday color! Just bought it. I'm so excited to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, so exciting! I'm so excited that you bought it! I think it will look really slammin' on you, Mags!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful on you! This was one of my staples when I first started wearing MAC in the 90s. Such a pretty colour. Thinking of repurchasing now that I see it again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that this was a staple for you in the 90s! I wish I'd found it sooner. Like in the 90s, when I thought copper was the perfect lip color for me...LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I just ordered this lipstick online because I like the shade and I am super excited to received it in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nessie Marie! You will LOVE it! It's such a universally flattering shade and so comfortable to wear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mims! It sounds like it could be beautiful on you! Super pale people can make mid-tone lipsticks look dramatic and fab. If you're not sure, stop by a MAC counter and ask an artist to put it on you! Thanks for reading and leaving me a comment! Good luck! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thank you for leaving me a little note!