Saturday, February 16, 2013

WIMB? | Skincare Edit

For my 1st ever edition of What’s in my bag?, I decided to focus on the goodies in my skin care bag o' tricks!  It's been cold and rainy here and my skin has not been enjoying it.  My spirit hasn't loved it, either!  I like sunshine, what can I say?


I was testing out some new skin care items from the Boots No. 7 line and my skin wasn't reacting to it with joy.  I decided to go back to basics, to the products my skin seems to respond to, and see if things improved.  I'm happy to report that my skin has returned to Normalsville!
Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash, $5.00 for 6 ounces, is a face cleanser I always end up coming back to.  While it's powerful enough to remove every trace of makeup, it doesn't ever result in dry patches.  It leaves my skin clean but not squeaky, and it seems to help reduce the amount of oiliness in my t-zone during the day.  Plus, it's available practically everywhere and the price makes it a true steal!

Kate Somerville Quench Hydrating Face Serum, $65.00 for 1 ounce, is a product I first encountered as a sample from Sephora.  I used every drop of it but was still hesitant to purchase a full-sized bottle due to the price.  When my skin started drying out due to the weather, I decided to go for it and I'm so glad I did!  It's full of Vitamin A, lipids, and a little retinol (not enough to cause irritation) and it feels silky and, dare I say groovy, on the skin.  It takes a couple of minutes for it to soak in completely, but my skin always looks happier the next morning.  Due to my oily t-zone, I only use this at night because I think my face would get loco oily by mid-day if I used it in the morning.

CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion PM, $10.00 (approx.) for 3 ounces, is my favorite facial moisturizer EVAH!  I have tried so many in my life, and this one is just the best thing I've found.  It's combination of time-released cermides, niacinamides, and hyaluronic acid make it a crazy good bargain for about $10.00 bucks a bottle.  It never agitates my skin; it's very soothing and absorbs completely.  I can use this morning and night and my skin never gets too greasy.

LUSH Bubblegum Lip Scrub, $9.95 for .9 ounces, is an awesome lip scrub that always gets my lips back on track after using drying lipsticks or stains.  I love the scent and taste of this one; it reminds me of those bright orange Circus Peanuts you see in the candy aisle at the drug store.  I've always had a soft spot for those, lol!  If bubblegum isn't your thing, it also comes in Mint Julips (mint) and Sweet Lips (chocolate).  The sugar and jojoba oil exfoliates your lips without stripping them of moisture.  Any time I'm going to be wearing a dark lipstick or stain, I use this first to get rid of the dead skin cells loitering about like goats at the petting zoo.

Paula's Choice RESIST Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum, $22.91 for 1 ounce, is a dream product.  It smoothes on like butta and absorbs after about a minute.  It's packed with antioxidants and Vitamin C and leaves my skin feeling crazy soft.  I've recently started mixing this and the Kate Somerville serum and applying them to my face at the same time.  My skin feels really smooth and hydrated without any greasiness.  One of the great things about this serum is you can order a travel sample for $1.00 to see if you like it before committing to the full-sized tube.  I have been using this on and off now for almost 3 years and it's like a vitamin for your face!

MAC Fast Response Eye Cream, $31.00 for .05 fluid ounces, is a caffeinated eye cream that actually works to shrink one's under eye bags.  I've been having massive trouble sleeping lately and have been waking up with mega puffalumps under my eyes.  I swipe on this serum-like cream and by the time I'm sitting down to apply my makeup, the bags are seriously reduced if not completely GONE.  The formula is light enough that it soaks into my skin completely and doesn't cause my under eye concealer to crease or slide.  This stuff is a life-saver if you have chronically puffy eyes.  After trying other caffeinated eye creams by Origins and Clinique, I have to say this one works 100 times better for me.  Though the price may seem high, I've had mine for nearly 8 months and the tube is still very full!  This stuff lasts and lasts.  Hat tip to Karen at Makeup & Beauty Blog for introducing me to this fabulousness!

Jack Black Lip Balm in Lemon & Chamomile, $7.50 for .25 ounces, is a super hydrating lip balm with SPF 25.  I have 3 tubes of this stuff at all times!  I don't know how they've done it, but the SPF isn't remotely detectable and the formula of this balm is so smooth and rich without making your lips look like you've just "frenched a tub of vaseline" (from "A Match Made in High School" by Kristin Walker - ADORABLE read, btw!).  It contains shea butter and avocado oil and will repair any kind of issue you've got going on with your lips (dryness, cracking, peeling).  I've even turned one of my male friends on to this and he loves it.  It comes in 5 flavors but the Lemon is my personal fave.  This is my HG balm, fo sho!

What's in your skincare bag o' tricks?  What one product are you most thankful you've found?

PS: The adorable cosmetics bag is from GracieDesign!  Great customer service and super cute goodies!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Thank you for leaving me a little note!